Applicants must be eligible to work in the specified location
Technical Specialist, Oilfield Solutions & Development; Houston, TX-1700194
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team-especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are seeking a Technical Specialist to provide expert technical support that will bring chemistries from the development pipeline into our customers' hands with the primary focus being in a key growth application area of oilfield chemicals, such as stimulation.
Technical Specialist (1700194)
Your core responsibilities will include independently executing development projects, including application testing and interfacing with Central Research; communicating expert practical advice on the use of our chemical solutions to our customers and strategic internal business partners; and supporting the Technology teammates in key growth areas.
You will work with Technology, the marketing segment manager as well as sales team members in communicating our technology to customers. Communication will occur through meetings, presentations and publications. You will also work at our Oilfield Solutions global headquarters in Houston, TX and will liaise with BASF Centers of Excellence.
Formula for Success: You Will
- Manage Development projects and independently execute testing to assess physical/chemical properties and performance of chemicals in oilfield applications to generate innovative technical solutions that support current business and generate new business growth opportunities. This includes planning and formulation of test matrixes to evaluate stimulation chemistry in key projects. Practical execution in the laboratory is expected.
- Compile and analyze testing information. Plan additional tests to solve challenges. Prepare reports and presentations. Deliver presentations to various types of audiences (technical and non-technical). Prepare external communications (publications or external presentations) and present externally.
- Work with junior team members on projects and mentor others regarding technical matters. Work in a team environment.
- - Ensure that the highest safety and quality standards are met, individually and as a team. Incorporate safe work procedures in all aspects of the job while maintaining a safe work environment in the laboratory.
- Develop new laboratory evaluation methods, optimization, and validation of the new approach through error analysis (reproducibility, reliability, precision).
- Assist in the development of new products for the Oilfield industry. This requires finding the best chemistry for development opportunities and leveraging chemistry knowledge to this end. This also includes communicating with corporate technical personnel globally to share information and enhance opportunities for new business development.
- Apply newly developed chemistry in specific application methods. It is expected to discern and communicate the BASF product advantages compared to products existing in the marketplace with little or no guidance from lab management.
- Provide professional feedback in regard to necessary application specifications for development projects - as related to knowledge of application on existing additives and chemistries. Interaction will be with Development, Technology and Marketing.
- Train (practical and to a smaller extent theoretically) internal and external customers on how best to use BASF product portfolio in the targeted application.
- On special occasions, support the deployment of BASF chemistry by interaction with customers or other external groups (eg formulation work in the lab or technical discussions, at BASF or externally).
- Take a lead on equipment installation, operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of specialized equipment.
- Write and review operation, calibration and safety procedures for equipment per BASF environmental and safety standards.
- Participate in recruiting support team for the Houston laboratory, when needed
- Learn and contribute to projects in other areas outside of established expertise (eg production chemistry if already skilled in stimulation).
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you-the whole you-in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You
BS in chemistry or related scientific field required with 8+ years of laboratory experience. Or a Master's degree with 5+ years of laboratory experience. Expertise in at least one of the following areas: stimulation or production.
Solid working knowledge of oilfield laboratory techniques (eg, rheology measurements, demulsification, fluid loss, corrosion, friction reduction, surface tension and foam testing).
Ability to work in a team environment across multiple disciplines and cultures and safe working habits and follows good chemical hygiene practices.
Advanced troubleshooting ability in the laboratory setting or for equipment
Expert knowledge of products (surfactants, polymers, corrosion inhibitors, chelating agents, breakers) used in Oilfield applications and in the methodologies used to test and evaluate these products. A focus on the Stimulation segment is preferred.
Proficient to expert at using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
Highly motivated, detailed oriented and able to multi-task. Great organizational skills. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills. Able to work independently will minimal managerial direction.
Holds a valid passport or visa and has no barriers personally or legally to the wide ranges of international travel associated with supporting activities worldwide. Up to 10%-15% for conference, technical presentation, or visit to customers.
Experience with LabVIEW
Previous experience working with an oil company, oilfield production company, chemical manufacturer, or an oilfield service company is preferred.
Primary Location: US-TX-Houston
Function: REDE - Research & Development
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: N-EVP-Performance Chemicals
Houston TX, United States of America
2/16/2017 10:12:38 PM
We strongly recommend that you should never provide your bank account details to an advertiser during the job application process. Should you receive a request of this nature please contact support
giving the advertiser's name and job reference.